Horticulture Traineeship – Indigenous Identified Position
Do you have a passion for working outdoors? LGGT, in partnership with Ballina Shire Council have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and enthusiastic Horticulture Trainee to join our friendly team. This is a great opportunity for individuals looking to combine their love of nature and the desire to work outside on a daily basis. Successful applicants will be required to study and work towards completing a qualification ACH20416 Certificate II in Horticulture during the term of the traineeship.
LGGT considers that being Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under section 14 of the Anti Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) OR section 25 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (Qld)”
On a day-to-day basis, your duties might include (but are not limited to);
- Contributing to Work, Health and Safety hazard identification and risk assessments
- Contributing to the planting and transplanting of flowers, shrubs, trees and lawns
- Using a variety of techniques to construct gardens such as importing soil, mulching, fertilising, trimming and watering gardens
- Assisting in concreting, turfing and timber work
- Installing, cleaning, operating and maintaining gardens, irrigation and drainage systems
- Interpreting landscape plans and constructing horticulture features
- Loading and unloading gardening supplies and equipment
- Using, maintaining and servicing equipment such as lawn mowers and gardening tools
- Assisting in the maintenance and management of trees in public gardens, parks and streetscapes
Who we’re looking for (selection criteria)
Would a traineeship suit you? Do you:
- Enjoy working with your hands
- Like working as part of team, however, also comfortable in working alone when you feel confident in your skills
- Appreciate working outdoors
- Have an appropriate level of physical ability
- Have an interest in Parks and Gardens and the Horticulture industry
- Identify safety hazards and concerns
To be considered for the traineeship positions you will need to:
- Comply with Workplace, Health and Safety regulations and policies
- Be dedicated to completing a traineeship and gaining a nationally recognised qualification
- Have completed school to a Grade 10 level as a minimum
- Hold a current drives license (minimum Green P plates)
About Local Government Group Training (LGGT)
Local Government Group Training’s story is one of development, re-imagining and new beginnings. Drawing from close to 40 years of experience in group training and workforce development services through its parent company Novaskill, LGGT is a not-for-profit organisation that delivers apprentice and trainee programs specifically designed for local government. It has been our passion since inception to work with the local government sector to provide rewarding and successful outcomes for Australians entering an apprenticeship or traineeship as a first step in a career in their chosen field.
To that end we are holistic in our approach and the care taken to produce meaningful outcomes. From training progression, to mentoring and pastoral care support, to ensuring on the job tasks create experiences and competencies, LGGT is dedicated to building a quality workforce for the future of local government.
Honesty, integrity, professionalism and respect are the core values and foundational pillars that drive our business, and allow us to continue delivering outstanding workforce solutions that transform the lives of our clients, partners, students and employers.
We’re passionate about empowering our staff to strive for excellence, push their limits and achieve incredible success in their roles and their lives.
We’re always on the lookout for passionate people to join us on our journey, so if your dedicated, hardworking and up for a challenge, please apply now.
How to apply
How to apply
To apply for this exciting position, please email a copy of your resume and cover letter addressing the above selection criteria to. For more information, please email our recruitment team on the same email address and clearly identify the position and location.
This is an entry level position and standard trainee wages apply.
Novaskill is a proud equal opportunity employer and encourage all persons to apply.
Unfortunately we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates
For more information about this position, please email our Group Training team on firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly identify the position and location.
Ballina Shire Council is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, people living with disabilities, and indigenous Australians.